Modern day romantics, period dramas, projecting the present, practicing elsewhere and elsewhen,
a series of day dreams and escapisms into alternatives via nature and her animals.
Across five duet scores, Theo and Leah continue the work of the Romantics by embodying their values to soften the industrial, question productivity and physically defend the dream space. Conceived to be stumbled upon by audiences in unconventional spaces, these strikingly designed duets bring the spontaneous wanderings and powerful yearnings of the heart and mind into the visible realm through duration, repetition and the naive belief that the body doesn’t have to be here, it can be elsewhen.
Available for touring from April 2019
- The Elsewhen Series has been conceived to be as low-fi as possible and generally require no light or sound technical support and also no sprung floor or dance mats.
- The full series can be programmed but each duet can exist as a stand alone work. With each organisation, we will discuss which scores feel appropriate to that setting.
- These are durational works, a suitable length for each context is also up for discussion.
- One duet requires a dark space and for another we will use our own portable UE BOOM Bluetooth speakers.
- Each duet has a distinct costume design element or extraordinary visual component
- Each performance score would be 'happened upon' rather than have specific performance times - like they are living in the space as works of nature.
- We envision that audience will be involved in various ways with each of the duet scores,
ie that we might be moving quickly through populated spaces / audience will be in close proximity to a duet score that is more located in one place
Instagram: @TheElsewhenSeries #TheElsewhenSeries
Supported by Wainsgate Dances, Dance Research Studio, The Place and Studio Wayne McGregor through the FreeSpace programme
by Leah Marojević and Theo Clinkard
"Romanticism embodied 'a new and restless spirit,
seeking violently to burst through old and cramping forms,
a nervous preoccupation with perpetually changing inner states of consciousness, a longing for the unbounded and the indefinable,
for perpetual movement and change, an effort to return to the forgotten sources of life, a passionate effort at self-assertion
both individual and collective, a search after means of expressing
an unappeasable yearning for unattainable goals"